Monday, April 06, 2020

Corona Musings

I've had it; my Covid diary

So, first things first, I've had it and recovered.  I can't say that with absolute certainty since I wasn't tested but I was remotely diagnosed by a doctor who said that, with the symptoms I was exhibiting, I was 99% likely.

It started with a temperature (and chills), aching muscles and debilitating tiredness which lasted for about 48 hours.  I woke up in the middle of the night to feel that the fever had abated and was, prematurely as it turned out, then feeling grateful that it was over.

About ten hours later the dry cough started.  And continued.  And continued.  I reached the point, as others have also reported, of starting to dry retch simply down to the continual cough.  That lasted for about three days.  Fortunately, whilst my chest felt tight (and very sore from the coughing) I never reached the point of feeling unable to breathe.  Eventually, the cough started to abate and over the next couple of days I recovered quite quickly.

However, I then discovered that I was still very weak and even a walk up a couple of flights of stairs would leave me feeling tired.  Fortunately, now, two weeks later I'm back on my bike and exercising and feeling fine.  So, very thankful that it wasn't worse and happy to be recovered and, hopefully for a while at least, immune.

In summary, I think I had nearly all the symptoms except the severe headaches and diarrhoea but fortunately not so severely.  The aching and the coughing were probably the worst symptoms and made me unable to sleep and exhausted.

Wishing everyone else either a complete avoidance of the unpleasant bug or a swift recovery and mild symptoms.